Music With Mrs. Tanenblatt

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Full STEAM Ahead!

Raise your hand if you love Arts Integration!

Raise your hand if the concept of Arts Integration completely stresses you out!

I have definitely been on both sides of this coin. So far, out of the four schools in which I've taught, two have been STEAM schools where arts integration is expected out of the classroom teachers and cultural arts teachers. (STEAM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) I've been fortunate enough to attend several local workshops on arts integration, the most interesting of which would definitely have to be The Arts Integration Conference at UMBC

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I would like to share one important principle of arts integration:

An arts integrated lesson should have TWO objectives: one for the arts component of the lesson, and one for the general ed component. For example: While it's certainly wonderful to use a catchy song to teach multiplication tables, this would NOT be an AI lesson, because the music is merely there as a tool to enhance the math lesson. 

The reason I bring this up in a post today is because I wanted to share my most recent product, Musical Math



A brief backstory: Last year, the entire faculty at one of my schools attended a PD session with Greg Tang. It's not very often that I am asked to attend a session on teaching math, and this session showed me many teaching models that I had never heard of. When he discussed the part-whole relationship model, I immediately saw how it could be applied to music. Now that I am building up my TpT store, I finally got around to developing this product!


The product includes 30 different examples. If you have an electronic white board, you can draw the missing notes directly onto the slides. Or, you could print these slides for students to complete individually. (If there is interest I might spend the extra time to make a student follow-along packet. Let me know in the comments if this is something you might be interested in.)



I can't wait to use this with my fourth graders tomorrow. Be on the lookout for more STEAM related blog posts in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment